Both Regular and Honors Language Arts classes are rigorous
courses that meet the Alabama College and Career Readiness
Standards and beyond. The following explanation offers insight into
the differences between the courses.
Honors students may experience:
- More independent reading assignments
- Higher expectations with more rigorous rubric standards on
writing, projects, and discussions
- Alternative and additional text selections
- Required parcipation in local literary contests
- Increased expectations for participation in collaborative
*Algebra 1 is offered as a high school
credit, and grades will be reflected on high school
transcript. The final grade is calculated in
the student's high school GPA with honors weight awarded (A=5.0,
B=4.0, C=3.0, etc.).
Mathematics and Honors Mathematics are
rigorous courses that meet and exceed the Alabama College and
Career Readiness Standards. The following explanation offers
insight into the differences between the courses.
Honors students may
- Higher expectations with assessments including word problems
and advanced computations (e.g. fractions, integers, verbal
- Challenging assessments which require efficiency, as well
as accuracy and completion within one class period.
- More independent practice with requirement of showing
- Additional skill building practice outside of class (Khan
- Higher expectations for participation in collaborative
discussions and group work
PreAP World History
Both Regular World History and PreAP World History
are rigorous courses that incorporate Common Core Literacy
Standards and follow the Alabama Social Studies Course of Study.
The following criteria offer insight into the difference between
PreAP students will
- Independent nightly reading assignments
- High classroom expectations with discussion, group work, and
collaborative activities as modeled after the AP World class.
- Assessments (writing, discussion, projects) measured using a
rigorous rubric as modeled after the AP World class.
- In-depth understanding of the content at a fast pace throughout
- Expectation for students to be self-advocates, speaking up,
asking questions and working towards a growth mindset.